THE TIME IS COMING WHEN EVERYTHING THAT IS COVERED UP WILL BE REVEALED, AND ALL THAT IS SECRET WILL BE MADE KNOWN TO ALL. LUKE 12:2
DISCOVERING THE FUTURE BY REVEALING THE PAST
Summary from Chapter II: Edward Bland's Powhatan and Tuscarora guides explained that the Chowan King had detained Elannor from King Powhatan following her arrival at the Chowanock village with the 2 boys following the 1591 attack. The JRIA concluded, that a very small group from the Lost Colony had lived with the Chowanock for 3-4 years. The Indian guides explained to Edward Bland that King Powhatan had held a grudge against the Chowan King for detaining Elannor from him and the king invited the Chowan King to meet. According to the guides, King Powhatan then strangled to death the Chowan King, thence King Powhatan had claimed Elannor Dare around the Spring of 1595 and her time with the Chowanock tribe had come to an end.
The very first English females known to have arrived in America were the 17 females from the 1587 English colony of families at Roanoke. By late 1591, after 16 of the 17 females from the Lost Colony had died, either from sickness or from the attack, and 1608, when the very first English females arrived at Jamestown. Between those two dates, the only English female in all of North America was Elannor White Dare. From Captain John Smith's reports from Jamestowne, they show that King Powhatan was the father of Pocahontas. It is also estimated from his writings that Pocahontas was born in 1595 or 1596. King Powhatan did slay the Chowan King around the Spring of 1595 and he claimed for his wife Elannor Dare from the Chowanock Village and THAT makes Elannor White Dare the mother of Pocahontas! (see Zuniga Map below)
THE ZUNIGA MAP
An area on the Zuniga Map shows both the east and west banks of the Chowan River. It also shows the areas where the 7 saved colonists lived at different times along those banks with the Chowanock. Reports from Jamestowne, the Virginia Company of London, and from Edward Bland, as well as the Dare stone, those records reveal that Elannor Dare was the mother of Pocahontas. It has been discovered that the Zuniga Map may have been made by more than one person. Some of the written names on the map appear to be similar to the carved letters on the Dare stone. Some of the letters and drawn lines are also similar to artwork made by Governor John White, Capt. John Smith, and George Percy.
An outstanding piece of artwork can be found in a section of the Zuniga Map (below) not so much in the artwork itself, as smartly arranged and cleverly detailed as it is, but in what the piece represents. There are two images (below) of the same area from the map, one is in black and white and the other is in color. The image shows Elannor Dare and King Powhatan of the Powhatan Confederacy. It appears they are conceiving Pocahontas in the chapel made by the Lost Colony near Arrowhead Beach, where today stands the Bandon Chapel.
THE ZUNIGA MAP
From period artwork titled: A description of part of the adventures of Cap: Smith in Virginia. Capt. John Smith (right), Elannor Dare (center (also see Chapter IV)), and Pocahontas (left). Note the oval-shaped face of Pocahontas, as well as in the other period artworks (below).
From artwork: A description of part of the adventures of Cap: Smith in Virginia.
From artwork: A description of part of the adventures of Cap: Smith in Virginia.
From artwork: The Abduction of Pocahontas
From the Zuniga Map, it shows King Powhatan and Elannor Dare conceiving Pocahontas in the Lost Colony Chapel, located on the east bank of the Chowan River. Directly across from the chapel, period maps show there to be the village of Chowanoac. The name Chowanoac is Carolina Algonquian for "people at the south." Thomas Harriott was a navigational expert, mathematician, scientist, and astronomer, he was a part of Sir Walter Raleigh's voyages to America. A period map (below, left) may have been made by Thomas Harriott during one of those later voyages. The printed letters on the map are similar to Thomas Harriott's writing and his name is written on the map as well (blue circle). There also appear to have been other names added to the map that are written in cursive writing, those names may have been added by the North Carolina Daughters of the American Revolution in the early 20th century. Whoever made the map originally knew about the Lost Colony survivors living along the Chowan River. In the area where the Chowanoac Village is located, the map names that village as the "Blond Town" (below, left, red arrow), the 7 colonists saved in the attack had either red or blond hair. The Chowanoac was a sub-tribe of the Chowanock, the map shows the Chowanock as being located further north in the area where the Meherrin River branches from the Chowan River, in Menatonon's Kingdom (below, left, above the red arrow).
Edward Bland on his map of the area where the Chowanoac Village was located, plots a fort in that area. The Chowanoac Village was the Lost Colony Fort (further below) that evidently was still standing there when he visited the Hocomawanack Village in search of information regarding Elannor Dare in 1650.
On the Chowan River's west bank, located directly across from where the colony's chapel was located, there are two very unique watercourses that cut into the riverbank. In the image of Pocahontas (above, right), she has on her head what appear to be antlers. Those "antlers" fit into the unique watercourses. The courses show a slightly different look to them each year depending on the water levels and the seasonal landscape. In the live image, the water levels are slightly lower than what the water levels were when the drawing was made. Also, in the drawing, when tilting the left course clockwise it then corresponds better to the left course in the Google Earth image.
CHOWAN, COUNTY, NORTH CAROLINA, AND POCAHONTAS TOO
From the period artwork A description of part of the adventures of Cap: Smith in Virginia (above), Pocahontas appears to have been drawn in what today makes up part of Chowan, County, North Carolina (see Google Earth image below, right). Beginning with her face is Holiday Island. The island is located in the Chowan River about 3 miles north of where the chapel was located in the Arrowhead Beach area, her bent leg represents the chapel (white line). Southeast of there, the Zuniga Map shows an island in the Perquimans river and a path that leads from the chapel to that island. The island was drawn on the bank of the river, but there is also an arrow drawn that leads from the island and points into the river where the island is located, the TomTom that Pocahontas holds in her hand represents that island. Heading south from the chapel is Bennett Mill Pond. The pond runs north to south, but when turned east to west it appears as a 'V' shape just as it shows there below her knee. At the Rocky Hock Creek, there is a short, wide watercourse that shows also to be on her shin. Further south from the creek inlet, on the south side of the town of Edenton, is Pembroke Creek. The creek winds in small, looping curves around the south side of the town and thence makes for the toes of Pocahontas. The drawing is a most clever piece of artwork as is the outstanding piece of the Conception of Pocahontas. The maker(s) of some of the artwork and period maps and charts of images have been identified and will be soon published here.
CHAPEL of the LOST COLONY
THE CHAPEL OF THE LOST COLONY
The A-shaped symbol that appears to be a fort (above, inset window, left, red square) is the symbol drawn on the Zuniga Map. The symbol represents a church/chapel. The oval shapes at the 3 points of the triangle shape that appear to be bastions are trees. Within his published writings, Capt. John Smith noted that a temporary first church at Jamestowne was made using a sail from a ship and that the sail was fastened to trees. He referred to it as an "awning". The sail was the roof of the church. At Arrowhead Beach, the Lost Colony evidently also used a sail for their church.
Made by James Wimble and engraved in 1738, a map of the Arrowhead Beach area shows the church that the Lost Colony made (above, left, red circle). The structure displays from a ground-level, angled view, whereas the church on the Percy Map (red square) displays from a birds-eye view. A small building appears attached to the frame of the church in both drawings (above, left, green arrows). In the shading on the ground around the church (above, left, red circle), note the outside edges of the shade are curved representing the cloth sail sagging down between the trees. The church was located at what has been known since the 18th century as the Bandon property, the Bandon Chapel is located there today. In the early 18th century, the area was known as Indian Town. It was first owned by an Anglican minister, the Reverend Daniel Earl. The reverend probably lived in that structure until 1757, records show that a house was built at that time and the reverend then named the property Bandon. The photo (below, left) is where the current chapel sits and where the first church with the sail, and later the Bandon house were located. The sail was fastened to 2 trees standing close together that made for the top point of the church and where the altar was placed. There are 2 brick pillars, one on each side of the church marquee that represents 2 trees (below, left image). Those 2 brick columns are where the altar stood and are known as being the gateway to the Bandon property. Stated on the plaque at the foot of the marquee is the following: GATEWAY TO BANDON HOUSE - HOME OF INGLIS FLETCHER - BUILT IN 1757. Jack and Inglis Fletcher bought the Bandon property in 1944. Mrs. Fletcher wrote 12 historical novels there known as her Carolina Series. When the Indians attacked the Lost Colony at the Rocky Hock Creek, located just down the road from Bandon, a drenching rain fell, seventeen of the colonists were killed in the attack. According to Mrs. Fletcher, one night at the Bandon house she heard noises that sounded as though several people, heavily loaded were climbing the stairs to the second floor. As there was no one there she concluded that this was the ghostly reenactment of a tragic past happening.
Following the Indian attack on the colony, Elannor Dare carved her husband and daughter's headstone, known today as the Dare stone. She states in a message on the reverse side of the headstone that she buried the colonists across from the river. She states; "Bvrie al neere fovre myles Easte this river vppon small hil / Names writ al ther on rocke". The Zuniga Map shows a possible cemetery that is located in that area and it is currently being investigated.
The image (above, right) is original period artwork titled Baptism of Pocahontas. The Baptismal ceremony is taking place in the Lost Colony Chapel under the sail - not at Jamestowne. The photo (below) is a partial image of the same artwork only in different lighting. The background in the image (below) shows a starry night outside as there were no walls to the church. To the right of the seating (image below) is a standing frame window. Looking out the window appears the Chowan River (in White). Above the river are tree branches that hang just outside the window. Below the river is the Chowan River's east bank and there appears the church with the sail. It's in the shape of a 3-pointed crown (below, red circle). A silhouette of what also appears to be a hand (below, blue circle) is pointing towards the church and confirming the church's existence there and that the ceremony is taking place in that church. Pocahontas was baptized in 1613 or 1614. The church with the sail at Jamestown was replaced in 1608 with a 64' long, wood structure that stood upon a cobblestone foundation according to recent excavations there by Preservation Virginia. Had the baptism taken place in the church at Jamestowne, then outside of the window would show a palisade surround. There also were no trees inside the James fort compound according to period images of the fort. It was also determined by Preservation Virginia, that the 64' long church structure made of wood, did exist within the original palisaded compound.
The image (below) is also titled Baptism of Pocahontas and was painted in 1837 by John Gadsby Chapman. The painting was copied from the above period artwork and it hangs in the U.S. Capitol Rotunda. Within the blue inset window (below, window at right) is the church from the James Wimble map. There is a small square building with a round opening (at blue arrow). As light is added to the painting the background brightens up and there appears the same small building as it is seen from the inside of the chapel (inset window, left). The building is behind the two tree columns (that stand on each side of the Bandon Chapel marquee) and appears to have been used as a standing-room gallery (note the round opening at the front of the small building in both images. Also, note the tree and branches hanging just outside the window (far right).
ELANNOR DARE & Pocahontas Too
Thank you, for your donation. - Jon SInatra
Copyright 2022 All Rights Reserved